Deep Fried Mac n' Cheese
- 1 box prepared elbow macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Progresso® Panko style or plain breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
Prepare a box of elbow macaroni and cheese as directed. Pour macaroni into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan, cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Right before you plan to take the macaroni out of the fridge, place flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate, shallow bowls. Pour vegetable oil into a deep, large pot to about a 3/4-inch depth. Heat over medium-high heat, careful not to let it get smoky.
3. Place a paper towel-lined tray near pot of oil. Remove macaroni from refrigerator and from loaf pan. Chop into 1 x 1 1/2-inch rectangles. Coat each rectangle with flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs
4. Using a slotted spoon, place as many bites in the hot oil as you can without crowding them. Deeply brown them on one side, then the other, then remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Serve warm.