Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
- 1 very ripe medium banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water)
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil (or coconut oil)
- 3 Tablespoons almond milk (or sub other milk)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or gluten free oats)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat or unbleached flour (or sub other flour)
- 3 Tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips (non-dairy for vegan)
Preheat a skillet to medium heat or about 300-325 degrees.
Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water and letting set for 3-5 minutes.
Mash your very ripe banana with baking powder.
Add flax egg, oil, salt, vanilla, almond butter, almond milk and stir.
Stir in oats and flour until just combined.
Sprinkle in chocolate chips and fold gently.
Scoop scant 1/4 cup measurements onto lightly greased griddle.
Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side – until golden brown.
Serve plain or with a small drizzle of maple syrup and a few additional chocolate chips for melting.
Serving size: 3.5 pancakes Calories: 400 calories Fat: 18 g Sugar: 20 g Fiber: 6.5 Protein: 7 g
* Should yield 5-6 small pancakes.
* Make gluten free by using gluten-free oats and flour.
* Adding 1 Tablespoons of honey, maple syrup, sugar or agave nectar is optional for extra sweetening, but I didn’t find it necessary.
* Reheat great the following day in the microwave.