Mario Batali's Summer Caprese Salad
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted ripe tomatoes (choose a combination of colors, types,
- and size), such as Brandywine, purple Cherokee, cherry, pear, peach,
- and/or Green Zebra)
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch basil (Genovese, lemon, Thai, or fino verde), leaves
- removed, or about 1 cup mixed fresh basil leaves
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt
Adapted from abcnews.go.com
With a sharp knife, cut the mozzarella into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a serving platter, reserving any milky liquid from the cheese in a small cup.
If using cherry or grape tomatoes, cut them half; reserve the juices. Core the remaining tomatoes and slice them, reserving the juices. Arrange the tomatoes on the cheese.
Whisk the vinegar, reserved tomato juices, any liquid from the mozzarella, and the olive oil together in a small bowl.
Tear the basil leaves over the salad. Pour the vinaigrette over it, sprinkle with salt, and serve.