Filet Mignon Steaks with Port, Cherries, and Thyme
Weber Grill recipe
- 4 filet mignons, 8oz each, 1 to 1 1/4" thick
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coarsely ground whole peppercorns (not pre-ground)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme, divided
- Kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 3/4 cup tawny port
- 12 oz sweet fresh cherries such as Bing, each cut in half or quarters
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 55mins
Cooking time 64mins
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat.
Pat the steaks dry, brush them with the oil, and season them evenly with the coarsely ground peppercorns, 1 Tbsp of the thyme, and 1 tsp kosher salt, pressing the spices into the meat. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 min before grilling.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over med-high heat. Add the shallots and saute until they begin to soften, 4 to 6 min. Add the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp thyme and stir for 10 seconds. Stir in the dried cherries and port (watch for a flame up) and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the liquid is reduced by about half, 6 to 8 min. Add the fresh cherries and broth and boil until the cherries are tender and about one-half of the liquid is cooked away, 6 to 8 min. Remove the skillet from the heat. Season the sauce with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside.
Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 7 to 9 min for med rare, turning once or twice. Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 min. While the steaks rest, finish the sauce.
Place the skillet over med heat and add the remaining 3 Tbsp butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat. Serve the steaks warm with the cherry sauce spooned on top.