Vegan Tofu-Cashew Mayonnaise
This recipe makes a pint of mayo. If you’re not likely to use that much within two or three weeks, consider making a half batch or freezing what you can’t use right away.
Nutrition (per tablespoon): 15 calories, 7 calories from fat, .88g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 12.4mg sodium, 20.1mg potassium, <1g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, sugar, 1.1g protein, 0.4 points. (sodium depends on the amount of salt used.)
- 1 12.3 ounce package firm silken tofu (see note)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (about 2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard, any variety
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- salt to taste
Adapted from google.com
1. Drain water from tofu and place it and all other ingredients except salt in a high-speed blender. Blend at highest speed until light and creamy. Add salt to taste and blend again. Seal tightly and keep refrigerated. Stir before each use.
I recommend either Mori-Nu Organic Silken Tofu or Mori-Nu Lite Firm Tofu. Both are non-GMO, though the Lite uses Isolated Soy Protein.
To make this in a food processor or regular blender, use 1/3 cup of cashew butter instead of cashews and process until smooth.