Danish Creamy Morel Soup
- 4 ounces fresh morel mushrooms stems trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound fresh button mushrooms wiped clean, stems trimmed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tawny port
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped ounion
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or dill for garnish
Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet over low heat and saute onions until soft, about 10 minutes. Add fresh button mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes, add the morel mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes more.
Add with vegetable broth, port, allspice, salt and pepper in a large soup pot and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes.
Puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender and return to the soup pot. Add the cream. Heat an additional 10 minutes to warm and garnish with chives or dill.
This recipe yields 6 servings.