Cream Of Portabella Soup Without The Cream
- 1 pound potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes - (abt 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound portabella mushrooms trimmed, and coarsely chopped - (abt 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
In a large saucepan add potatoes and 3 cups water. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat until tender, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sherry; cook for 1 minute. Remove 1 1/2 cups of the mushroom mixture; set aside.
In a food processor place potatoes and remaining mushroom mixture from skillet. Process until smooth. Pour into saucepan. Add milk, chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved 1 1/2 cups mushroom mixture. Simmer over medium-heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.