Morel And Porcini Quiche
- 4 nine-inch pie shells
- 2 cups dried morels - (to 3)
- 2 sweet red peppers roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 2 fresh ripe mulato peppers roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 2 fresh ripe ancho/poblano peppers roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 sprig marjoram
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 chives
- 1 Chinese chive leaf snipped
- 2/3 pound Fontina cheese shredded
- 5 tablespoons sherry - (to 8)
- 1 dozen extra-large eggs
- 3 pints cream (heavy or light)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (can be nonfat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
Pour enough boiling water over dried mushrooms to cover, steep, drain mushrooms in sieve, pressing out and reserving excess liquid. Return liquid to pan, leaving any dirt in bowl. Reduce liquid over medium flame (1/2 cup). Select the best morels, about 1/2 the number of quiche slices selected. Slice lengthwise and let soak in cream and sherry to keep moist (2 to 3 tablespoons each).
Chop rest of mushrooms fairly fine and mix well with chopped peppers and herbs. Spread equal amounts over each pie shell. Scatter equal amounts of shredded cheese over the mushroom mixture. Beat eggs until frothy, then beat in yogurt, paprika, nutmeg, cream, reduced mushroom soaking liquid, and a dollop of sherry. Carefully pour custard mixture over cheese (or in centers of shells.)
Bake 15 minutes in preheated 425 degree oven. Turn oven down to 300 degrees and bake 30 minutes or until puffed up in center. About halfway through baking arrange sliced morels evenly in circles. Make sure custard is set enough to hold them.
This recipe yields ?? servings.