Hearty Shiitake Soup
- 1 ounce dried shiitake - (to 1 1/4 oz)
- 5 inches konbu - (to 6) (kelp for stock)
- 1 1/2 quarts cold water
- 15 niboshi - (to 18) (dried sardines for stock)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce - (to 3)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sake (rice wine)
Place dried mushrooms and kelp in a large pot of cold water. Bring to rapid boil, discard kelp and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook stock uncovered for 15 minutes.
Break off and discard the heads of dried sardines and add bodies to the pot, cook another 10 minutes. Strain stock through a cloth lined colander, discard mushrooms and fish. Season dark broth with soy sauce, sugar and sake. Serve with noodles.
This recipe yields ?? servings.