Best Biscuits Ever!
I found this recipe somewhere and have used it a lot! It is the best one I have found when to make great southern style biscuits.
- 6 TBS. unsalted butter cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 1/4 C veg shortening or lard (****if using self rising flour, use 1/2 C of shortening)
- 4 C of all purpose flour (****If using self rising flour, add 2 TBS. sugar and disregard the following)
- 2 TBS. sugar
- 2 TBS. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 3/4 C buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place butter/shot in freezer for 10 min.
2. Blend 4 C flour and next 5 ingred. in food processor. Add butter & shortening. Pulse until I resembles course meal 20-25 pulses. Transfer to separate bowl. Add buttermilk. Gently stir. (mixture will not be completely incorporated. Knead in bowl until dough forms.
3. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Pat dough to 1 " thick. Lift sides and fold over. Repeat 5 more times. roll to 3/4 " thick. Cut with 3" biscuit cutter. Bake about 12-15 min.