Bruschetta with Whipped Feta and Roasted Red Peppers
Pairing year-round, pantry-ready ingredients like roasted red peppers with a sharp cheese like feta fit the bill for the punchy, concentrated flavors we wanted for our bruschetta recipe. We pulsed some of the bruschetta topping ingredients in the food processor until they formed a rough paste, which provided a stable base for the other toppings and allowed us to easily pick up our bruschetta and eat it neatly.
- Serves 8 to 10 as an appetizer
- 1 24-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Table salt
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Toasted Bread for Bruschetta
Combine roasted peppers, garlic, vinegar, sugar, pepper flakes, and ¼ teaspoon salt in medium bowl; set aside. Process feta, lemon juice, olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in food processor until smooth, about 10 seconds, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula once during processing. Divide feta mixture among toasts and spread to edges. Using fork, lift peppers from vinegar mixture and place on toasts. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.