• 6 oz romaine hearts
• 6 oz green or savoy cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
• ¾ C radicchio, shredded
• 1 med carrot, grated
• ½ C scallions, chopped
• ½ C celery ribs, finely chopped
• ¾ C red bell pepper, diced
• ¼ C red onion, finely diced
• ¼ C cashews or peanuts, chopped
• ¼ C cilantro or flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 1 T sesame seeds
• meat from a 1½ lb rotisserie or roasted chicken, coarsely shredded (reserve ¼ - ½ C juice, if possible)
• optional: sugar snap peas, lightly steamed asparagus spears (cut in 1" pieces on the diagonal), bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, or whatever else you have in the fridge.
• ¼ C + 3 Tbsp mild olive oil or salad oil
• 2 Tbsp sesame oil
• 2 T lime juice
• 1 T white wine or rice wine vinegar
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• optional: ¼ tsp fish sauce, ¼ tsp ground ginger (I don't care for it, so I leave it out) and spicy-sweet hoisin sauce, to taste (I always think I have a jar, but come salad-making time, I never do)
Whisk all ingredients together. Adjust vinegar and salt to your taste.
In a small sauté pan, toast sesame seeds over medium heat until light brown and fragrant. Cool. Cut off cores from the romaine heart(s) and discard. Cut 1/4" slices of romaine, widthwise. Mix with remaining ingredients (including sesame seeds). Pour reserved chicken juices on top and lightly dress (up to two hours ahead, the salad won't wilt all that much). Season with salt and pepper, toss and serve with any reserved dressing on the side.