Shrimp Flatbread Pizza with Arugula
- Shrimp Sauce Recipe:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 8-10 large shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into strips
- 25 shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- small handful each of fresh basil and oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups packed fresh arugula leaves
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Shrimp Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 Pizza Crust (recipe below)
- 2 cups mayo
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp minced or pressed garlic
- 3-4 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp ground dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp white pepper
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pizza Crust Recipe:
- 4 cups high gluten (12%) flour. King Arthur bread flour is good.
- 1 cup warm water (between 95° and 115° F.)
- 1 tbsp or 2 - 1/4 oz. packets (1/2 oz. total) of yeast (1.5 tbsp, if you like it a little more "yeasty.")
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and the sugar. Once combined, add the yeast and vigorously stir until the yeast is completely dissolved in the water. Let the water/yeast mixture sit for about
- Next, in a large bowl (using your electric stand mixture if you have one – use the dough hook), combine the flour and salt. Slowly add the water/yeast mixture and let the mixer combine the ingredients
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s got a good elasticity. Stretch the dough into a smooth ball and place it back into the mixing bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let it rise for about a 1/2
- After the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and turn it out onto a floured surface again. Gently punch it down and knead it by folding the dough in half one way, then in half again the other wa
- After it has risen the second time, the dough is now ready to be used! Section the dough out into three portions and roll out into a circle.
Adapted from tarathefoodie.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
To make this pizza, start by making the dough (recipe above). Next, infuse some olive oil with some minced garlic. Just heat about a half cup of extra virgin olive oil in a pan over low heat and add two big cloves of minced garlic. After you really start to smell the garlic aroma, add your shrimp to the pan. Season the shrimp with sea salt and pepper and only leave them in the oil long enough until their just done. Remove the shrimp from the olive oil, and put them on a plate. Set aside. Next, pour the garlic infused olive oil into a bowl and set that aside. This will be the oil you paint onto the pizza crust later.
Next, in the same pan, add a little more olive oil, and turn the heat up to medium-high. Add some sliced shiitake mushrooms and cook long enough to get some color on the mushrooms. Remove then from the pan and set aside. Then, in the same pan, add about a half cup finely chopped shallots and saute until they too get a little color. Now remove them from the pan and set aside. Now, shred up some mozzarella and parmesan cheese, as much as you want to use, and also chop up some fresh oregano and basil. Alright, we're ready to assemble our pizza:
Roll your dough out and get it on your pizza pan or screen. Paint on the garlic olive oil until the entire dough is covered.
Sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese.
Now sprinkle on the shallots.
Next add the mushrooms.
Now add the shrimp.
Next, the herbs.
And finally, the parmesan cheese.
Pop it into a 450 degree oven for about 13 minutes, or until the cheese is starting to brown on top.
While the pizza is baking, get some arugula ready by rinsing it off with cold water and drying it. Also, quickly throw together some shrimp sauce (recipe above).
When the pizza is done, take it out of the oven and put it on a board to slice. While it's hot, sprinkle on some arugula so you basically have a salad on top of the pizza. Slice the pizza after it has rested for a few minutes, then hit it with some of the shrimp sauce.
Serves 4. Enjoy!