Old Fashioned Stew
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 envelopes onion gravy mix - (7/8 oz ea)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 pounds deer stew meat - (to 3) (or antelope, elk, or moose stew meat)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 carrots cut into 1" pieces
- 6 medium parsnips cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
In small mixing bowl, blend water, beer, gravy mix, brown sugar, and thyme. Set aside.
Remove all fat and silverskin from meat. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
In Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium-high heat. Add beer mixture and bay leaf to Dutch oven. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until meat is almost tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add carrots and parsnips; re-cover. Cook 20 minutes longer. Add peas; re-cover. Cook 5 to 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.