- CRANBERRY CHUTNEY:
- 2 pounds caribou steak - (to 3)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs as needed
- 1/2 cup fat
- 1/4 cup cranberry relish or currant jelly
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup seeded raisins
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Rub meat with salt and pepper. Roll in bread crumbs.
Melt fat in skillet; fry steaks until well browned on both sides. Place on hot platter.
Make gravy using drippings in pan and cranberry relish or currant jelly.
Cranberry Chutney: Pick over cranberries, discarding soft ones. Wash. Bring water and sugar to a boil. Add cranberries and all remaining ingredients. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries have popped -- about 10 minutes. Cool. Serve warm or cold as a relish for wild game. (Makes 1 quart)
This recipe yields ?? servings.