Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies
Laura Bush's lovely oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, coconut and pecans.
Author: Teresa Ambra adapted from Bettie Raye when we worked together at Dallas Baptist University, Dallas, TX; source: Family Circle Presidential Bake Cook-Off
Recipe type: Cookies, Brownies and Bars
- 3 cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (1 1/2 bags)
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans (8-oz.)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from cantstayoutofthekitchen.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Mix sugars, butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon with an electric mixer until well combined.
3. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans with a wooden spoon.
4. For each cookie, drop ¼ cup of dough onto cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, spacing 3 inches apart.
5. Bake 17-20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove to rack to cool.