Alaska Sea Food Chowder
- 1 cup clams - (to 1 1/2)
- 6 cups assorted fish - (2 1/2 lbs) (halibut, salmon, cod, rockfish to whatever's in the freezer!)
- 1 cup shelled crab - (to 2)
- 5 strips bacon
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- 6 medium potatoes - (to 8) peeled, cut small
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 8 tablespoons flour
Cook clams in liquid (water or clam juice) for several hours until tender. Cool and chop.
Dice the bacon and fry in large pot until brown, then add onion and celery. Add chicken broth, chopped clams and crab, potatoes and seasoning. When potatoes are tender, add cubed fish to boiling mixture and simmer for 5 minutes (do not overcook).
Blend flour into evaporated milk and regular milk. Add mixture to pot, but do not boil after adding milk. When chowder thickens, it's ready to eat. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe yields ?? servings.