Jalapeño Dove Brochette
- 60 doves breast halves skin on or off
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or substitute 1/3 cup white wine vinegar plus 1 tbspn sugar)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 15 jalapeño peppers seeded, and cut into 4 strips each
- 30 strips bacon partially cooked
- 20 wooden skewers soaked in water
- for 30 minutes
Combine sugar with next 7 ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add dove breasts and marinate for 1 hour.
For each skewer, place a strip of bacon on a flat surface. Lay a strip of jalapeño , then dove breast, then another jalapeño strip and dove breast. Wrap with bacon place 3 bacon-wrapped breast "bundles" side by side.
Place 2 skewers through each set of three bundles, putting the skewers about 3/4-inch apart from one another. Grill over medium-hot coals until medium-rare.
This recipe yields 5 to 6 servings.