Herb Roasted Pheasant Breasts
- 4 pheasant breast halves - (to 6) skin and bones
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as basil, sage, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, parsley, etc)
- 1/2 cup cooked diced smoky bacon
- 1 lemon finely diced (the whole lemon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
Using your fingers, start at the neck and carefully separate the skin from the breast. Combine garlic and remaining ingredients and spread a thin layer of the mixture between the skin and the breast of each bird.
Place remaining herb stuff on the top of the breasts. If your breasts do not have any skin, just put all of the herb mixture on the top of the breasts.
Place on a lightly-greased baking dish and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until breasts are just-cooked. Time and temperature will vary according to oven and size of pheasant.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
For God's sake, do not put your pheasants in a Slow cooker with a can of condensed creamed soup. Yes, I know it tastes good, just like creamed soup. You say your pheasant is dry unless you cook it in the Slow cooker? Well, stop cooking it so long. If you don't have any skin on your bird, this recipe will still work.