Elk Loin With Asian Barbecue Sauce
- ASIAN BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2 pounds elk loin all fat, gristle
- and silver skin carefully removed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons grainy or Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients and mix well. Place elk loin in a zipper-lock bag and our all but 1/2 cup of sauce into bag with elk. Squeeze out air and close securely. Let meat stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Place marinated elk on a medium-hot grill and cook evenly until medium-rare.
To serve, slice across the grain into medallions and serve with sauce on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.