- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 TBSP whole peppercorns
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 (7 oz) can or jar salsa verde
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 110mins
Combine first 9 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes or til chicken is done. Remove chicken and let stand for 10 minutes. Shred chicken and set aside. Drain cooking liquid thru a sieve over a bowl; reserve liquid. Discard solids.
Combine reserved cooking liquid and salsa verde in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook til reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 30 minutes). Reduce heat to low and stir in whipping cream. Leave the pan over low heat.
Heat oven to 400.
Place chicken in a medium bowl. Add tomato and next 5 ingredients (through cream cheese) to chicken; toss. Dip each tortilla in sauce mixture for 10 seconds. Fill each tortilla with about 1/3 cup chicken mixture; roll up. Arrange filled tortillas, seam side down, in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic pan coated with cooking spray. Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas; top evenly with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or til lightly browned.