Kicked Up Mini-Pimento Cheese Po-Boys
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 pound extra-sharp white cheddar roughly grated
- 1/2 pound extra-sharp orange cheddar roughly grated
- 8 ounces roasted red bell peppers chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise preferably homemade
- 1 cup sliced spicy ham (such as capicolla)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 individual French bread rolls or pistolets halved lengthwise
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until brown and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool.
In a large bowl, combine the bacon white cheddar, orange cheddar, roasted peppers, mayonnaise, ham, green onions, garlic, essence and salt and pepper, and stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to develop.
Spread about 1/2 cup on each roll.
This recipe yields 3 cups of spread, or 6 sandwiches.