Kicked Up Chef's Salad
- 1/4 cup finely-sliced shallot rings
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head Bibb lettuce leaves separated, washed and spun dry
- 3 cups baby red leaf or oak leaf lettuces washed, spun dry
- 2 Roma plum tomatoes peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 Belgian endive chiffonaded
- 1/3 pound Gruyere cheese cut thin strips
- 1/3 pound cooked ham cut thin strips
- 1/4 pound smoked chicken breast or turkey breast cut thin strips
- 2 large hard boiled eggs peeled, and cut crosswise into thin slices
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
In a small bowl, combine the shallots and vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add the cream and mustard, and whisk to combine. Add the oil in a steady stream and whisk until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Line 4 large plates with the Bibb lettuce leaves. In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, tomatoes, endive, cheese, ham, and chicken. Add dressing, to taste, and toss to coat. Arrange the mixture in the center of the Bibb lettuce leaves. Decoratively arrange the egg slices around the outer edges of the greens. If desired, drizzle with more dressing. Garnish with the chives and parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.