- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 sweet potato peeled, small diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded scotch bonnet pepper (to 1 1/2 tspns depending upon taste)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh callaloo leaves - (abt 8 cups) ribs/stems discarded (or spinach leaves)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups water
In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the sweet potato, garlic, peppers, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add the greens and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add the coconut milk and the water. Cook, stirring, until the leaves and sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Serve hot or warm with rice and hot pepper sauce on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.