Stuffed Turbot Provencal
- TOMATO-CAPER BEURRE BLANC:
- 4 Boiled Artichoke hearts cut 1/2" dice (Boiled Artichokes listed below)
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped brine-cured black olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 skinless turbot fillets
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely-minced shallots
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut tbspn size
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons small capers rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup small diced seeded tomatoes
- BOILED ARTICHOKES:
- 1 gallon water
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 large globe artichokes - (abt 10 oz ea)
- 1 lemon cut in half
For the Boiled Artichokes: Bring the water, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns to a boil in a large pot.
With a small, sharp knife, trim the tough outer skin from the artichoke stems and remove the bottom row of leaves. Add the artichokes and lemons and return to a boil. Place 2 small, heavy plate on top of the artichokes, lower the heat, and cook at a low boil until the artichokes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and let the artichokes sit until cool enough to handle.
Remove the large outer leaves from the artichokes and discard the spiky inner leaves. With a spoon, scrape the hairy choke from the hearts and discard. Reserve the leaves for another use. (Makes 4 artichoke hearts)
In a bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, olives, olive oil, parsley, shallots, garlic, oregano, lemon peel, salt, and pepper and toss well. Let marinate for 2 hours at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly season the fish on both sides with salt and white pepper. Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet, skin-side up. Spoon 1/4 of the artichoke mixture on the bottom half of each fillet. Fold the top half of the fillet over the filling. Bake until the fish is done, 12 to 15 minutes.
For the Beurre Blanc: Combine the shallots and wine in a medium saute pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced in volume by half, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, adding each piece before the previous one has been completely incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, removing the pan from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from getting too hot and breaking. Remove from the heat and season with the hot sauce and salt. Stir in the capers and tomatoes, and stir well. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
Remove from the oven and transfer the fish with a spatula to 4 large plates. Spoon the Tomato- Caper Beurre Blanc over the fish and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.