Sexy Spring Rolls
- Filling ideas (all sliced into appropriate sizes):
- Sexy sautéed ginger carrots and sweet potato (recipe follows)
- sweet bell pepper
- spring onion
- chopped almonds
- basil / Thai basil
- Sexy sautéed ginger carrots and sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- splash of cooking oil (avocado is best for high heat)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Find a shallow dish a little larger than your rice paper wraps and fill it with room temperature water.
2. Place one wrap in the water until it becomes soft and pliable (about a minute).
3. Transfer the wrap to a clean working surface and place your favorite ingredients in the center, plus a generous drizzle of sauce (avoid the temptation to overload).
4. Fold the top half of the wrap over the fillings. Then fold in both sides. Lastly, fold the bottom up to seal. If a breakage happens or it seems like the whole things is going to fall apart (don’t worry, it does sometimes) you can simply wrap up the whole spring roll in another sheet of soaked rice paper. Just put the completed roll in the middle of a second wrap and repeat the previous instructions. This creates a much sturdier roll too
Sauteed Ginger Carrots and Sweet Potato:
1. Begin by toasting the sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they begin to pop and are lightly toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Julienne the carrots and sweet potato (cut them into matchstick-size pieces).
3. Put the oil, minced ginger and agave nectar in the skillet and cook just slightly. Add vegetables and stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes. You don’t want to cook the vegetables exactly, just take the raw edge off.
4. Remove from heat and toss with the sesame seeds and lemon juice.
Almond butter dipping sauce
1/3 cup organic almond butter
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. tamari (or high-quality soya sauce)
1 Tbsp. agave nectar
2 Tbsp. water
juice of 1 lime (approx. 3 Tbsp.)
pinch of crushed chilies
1. Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl until smooth. Add more water to thin. Adjust seasonings to taste.