Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Peanut Sauce
- 2/3 c cocoa powder
- 3/4 c flour
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. Baking Powder
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1 oz. 70% chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/4 t. vanilla
- 1 lg. egg
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 c sugar
1. Butter one standard muffin tin liberally and dust with cocoa powder.
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and slat and set aside.
4. Place chocolate in heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water, whisk to melted , set aside for 15 min to cool
5. Whisk together the buttermilk and vanilla and set aside.
6. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat egg on high for 2 min until foamy.
7. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the chocolate mixture, then sugar, beat 2 min.
8. Remove bowl from mixer and gradually and gently fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula.
9 Fill muffin tins until each is 2/3 full
10 . Bake 25 min . test for doneness. ( 10 to 12 cupcakes)
Caramel Sauce ( 1 cup)
1 c. sugar
3 T, water
1T. Corn syrup
¾ c heavy cream at room temp
1T. Unsalted butter
1/8 t. salt
2T unsalted peanuts roughly chapped and roasted
Put sugar, water and corn syrup in med. heavy bottomed saucepan and cook over med high heat, swirling the pan occasionally but not stirring until the caramel turns a medium amber color. Lower the heat and add the cream , butter, and salt. The sauce will bubble furiously and may splatter but then stir with a wooden spoon until it is smooth.
To finish the cupcakes, top each with the warm caramel sauce and sprinkle with chopped peanuts and sea salt. Top with the whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Sauce can be kept in refrig. Up to on month . Reheat gently for use.