Down Home Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes - (15 oz)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar (optional)
In a heavy 6-quart pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat and stir with a large wooden spoon to break up the meat. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, 5 minutes.
Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
This recipe yields 6 cups (about 6 to 8 servings).