Warm Hearts Of Palm Salad With Molho Apimentado
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 2 medium firm-ripe tomatoes seeded, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper cored, seeded, and minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 malaguetas * stemmed, seeded, and minced - (wear rubber gloves)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 2 cans hearts of palm - (14 oz ea) rinsed, drained, and dried on paper towels
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* If you cannot find malaguetas, you can substitute any small hot pepper, such as tabasco or serrano
In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lime juice, and salt. Stir until just mixed, leaving chunky. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, peppers, and garlic, and stir to combine. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes for flavors to develop.
In a shallow dish, combine the flour and Essence. Roll the hearts of palm in the flour until lightly coated.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the hearts of palm in batches, and cook until crispy and golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally to ensure even browning. Remove from the skillet and transfer to serving plates. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Top each portion with a dollop of the Molho Apimentado and diced avocado, and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.