PALEO CAROLINA GOLD BBQ SAUCE
- 4 strips of nitrite free bacon, diced (preferably humanely raised and sugar free if you can find it)
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 2 – 9 oz. containers of Annie’s Organic Yellow Mustard, or approximately 2 cups of another organic, sugar free, gluten free YELLOW mustard (it must be YELLOW! Not DIJON or BROWN or any other mustard. IT. MUST. BE. YELLOW)
- 3/4 cup of good honey (preferably raw and local)
- 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of paparika
- 3/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Adapted from honestlydelicious.blogspot.com
Sauté the diced onions and bacon in a heavy bottom pot for 15 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onions are nice and soft. I used a Le Creuset for easy cleanup.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes until all the flavors have married.
Store in glass mason jars, and serve on just about anything.
Yup, it’s delicious. I highly recommend you make some as soon as possible. Can it be made without bacon? Sure, but why would you? It might be good, but not nearly as good as the bacon version. Also, here is a little tip: it can be difficult to get all the mustard out of the plastic containers, so pour some of the apple cider vinegar into the mostly-emptied mustard bottles, reseal them, and shake them up. The vinegar is going to go in the sauce anyway, and this way you get all of the mustard. Waste not, want not! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!