- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), diced
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk, for egg wash
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend in the butter at the lowest speed and mix until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add to the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will be sticky.
Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Flour your hands and pat the dough out 3/4-inch thick. You should see lumps of butter in the dough.
Cut 6 or 7 biscuits with a 2 3/4-inch fluted cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
Brush the tops with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outsides are crisp and the insides are fully baked. Let cool on a wire rack.