Cookies: Peanut Butter, Jelly, and Brownie Cookies
- 1 -16 1/2 ounce package refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cherry or strawberry jam, jelly, or preserves
1. Preheat oven according to cookie package directions. On a lightly floured surface, use hands to slightly flatten cookie dough to an 8x2-1/2-inch log. Place on baking sheet, then freeze for 30 minutes. Slice dough in half lengthwise, then slice each half in 16 slices. Place slices on cookie sheets. Using a fork dipped in granulated sugar, make a crisscross pattern on each cookie. Bake cookies according to package directions or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan stir butter and chocolate over low heat just until melted. Remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in sugar and vanilla. Cool 5 minutes.
3. Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending foil over pan edges. Grease foil; set pan aside.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, to butter-chocolate mixture, beating after each just until combined. Stir in flour and cocoa powder. Evenly spread batter in prepared pan.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, just until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack. Leave oven set to 350 degrees F to warm sandwich cookies.
6. For sandwich cookies, scoop and mash warm brownie onto the flat side of a cookie. Top with 1 tsp. jam and a second cookie. Place sandwich cookies that will be served immediately on a cookie sheet and warm in oven about 4 minutes.
7.TIP Store leftover brownies in a covered container up to 3 days.
from the test kitchen
Tip Place any assembled cookies you are not warming through in an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 2 days. Place on a baking sheet and heat in a 350 degrees F oven about 5 minutes or until warmed through.