Basically Country Gravy is a White Sauce made with pan drippings instead of butter… it’s as simple as that.
- 2- 3 About 2- 3 tablespoons of pan drippings and oil left in the skillet
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 3 cups of milk (whole milk is best)
- Salt and pepper, to taste (most country gravies are heavy on pepper)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
1. Remove all but about 2-3 Tbsp. of oil from the skillet you cooked the Country Fried Steaks in.
2. Add the flour… mix well, scraping all the bits off the bottom of the skillet…. and cook for about 1-2 minutes to cook off the flour taste.
3. Add the milk slowly, whisking vigorously & constantly as you add it so you don’t get lumps.
4. Cook over medium heat until gravy thickens (enough to coat the back of a spoon).
Note: If gravy is too thick.. simply add a splash of milk and whisk it in.
Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.