Kicked-Up Country Breakfast
- 1/2 pound pork sausage removed from casings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter more as needed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large Idaho potato peeled, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Hot toast or tortillas for accompaniment
Heat an electric skillet or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to crumble, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the butter, and when melted, add the onions, bell peppers, 1 teaspoon of the Essence, the hot sauce, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the potatoes (and additional butter if needed to prevent sticking), and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley and chicken stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft and stock is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
With a spoon, make 4 indentations in the mixture, and break an egg into each. Cover and cook until the eggs are set, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Essence and the cheese. Serve immediately with hot toast or tortillas.
This recipe yields 4 servings.