Brown Windsor Soup
- ROSEMARY POPCORN:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely-chopped yellow onions
- 1 large leek rinsed well, and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut 1/2" cubes
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bouquet garni
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 rosemary sprigs stripped, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- Salt to taste
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the leek and carrot, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the beef, Essence, salt, and pepper, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the flour with 2 tablespoons of stock to make a slurry. Add to the pot and stir well. Add the remaining stock, bay leaf, and bouquet garni, stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the meat is tender, about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove the bay leaf and bouquet garni and discard. Add the parsley, and garnish with rosemary popcorn and rosemary sprigs and serve immediately.
Rosemary Popcorn: In a deep pot, add oil and rosemary and heat until oil shimmers. Add popcorn and cover. Shake pan until all corn is popped. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.