Hearty vegetable lasagna
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 large zucchini, cut on diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 oz) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400. Spray 8 inch square baking dish and 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
Place eggplant and zucchini on prepared baking sheets, overlapping slices if necessary. Spray with nonstick spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. Bake until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with their juice, mushrooms, bell pepper, basil, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat and cook until sauce is bubbling but not thickened, about 10 minutes longer.
Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in prepared baking dish. Cover with 1 lasagne noodle and top with one-fourth of eggplant and zucchini. Cover with 1/2 cup of sauce and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Repeat to make 4 more layers, ending with noodle topped with sauce. If any sauce remains, spoon over lasagna.
Cover baking dish with foil and bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until sauce is absorbed, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.