Tournedos With Bearnaise Sauce
- BEARNAISE SAUCE:
- 4 tournedos of beef - (3 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tarragon stems - (to 3)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter - (2 sticks) melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
Season tournedos well on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the vegetable oil and the butter. Add the tournedos to pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Serve 2 tournedos per person, topped with the Bearnaise Sauce.
For the Bearnaise Sauce: In a saucepan combine shallots, lemon juice, vinegar and tarragon stems and cook over medium heat until liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons. Let reduction cool to room temperature.
In a metal bowl, combine egg yolk, water and reduction over a pot of simmering water. Whisk well until egg mixture begins to form ribbons when whisk is lifted out of mixture. While continuing to whisk, drizzle in melted butter little by little until completely incorporated and sauce is thick. Add chopped tarragon, taste and season with salt and white pepper.
This recipe yields 2 servings.