Home-Cured Tasso Ham
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cayenne
- 5 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 pounds lean pork butt cut 1" thick slices, about 4 to 5 oz ea
In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion and onion powder. Dredge each piece of pork in the spice mix. Press the spice mix well into each piece. Wrap the Tasso in plastic wrap, about 4 pieces together. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 days or up to 1 week.
This recipe yields 2 1/2 pounds.