- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cups thinly-sliced onions (abt 2 1/2 lbs)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups medium-diced unpeeled eggplant (abt 1 lb)
- 2 1/2 cups medium-diced unpeeled zucchini (abt 1 lb)
- 3 cups chopped peeled, seeded fresh tomatoes (abt 2 lbs)
- 3 medium red bell peppers - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) roasted, peeled, and thinly sliced
In a large Dutch oven, with a lid, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and eggplant. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until wilted, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid as evaporated and the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and season if necessary.
This recipe yields about 6 cups.