Classic New Orleans Bread Pudding With A Bourbon Sauce
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 slices day-old French bread cut 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 recipe Spiced Cream (see recipe)
- Kentucky Bourbon Sauce (see recipe)
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Shaker confectioners sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 6-cup (9 1/4- by 5 1/4- by 2 3/4-inch) loaf pan with butter.
Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and bourbon together in a large mixing bowl until very smooth. Add the half-and-half and mix well. Add the bread and raisins, and let the mixture sit for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
To serve, cut the pudding into 1-inch thick slices. Lay each slice in the center of each serving plate. Spoon some of the Bourbon Sauce over the pudding. Top with the Spiced Cream. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and confectioners sugar.
This recipe yields about 10 servings.