Creamy Basil Chicken
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium red and/or yellow sweet peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 oz. cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (2-1/2 to 3 lb.)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 lb. asparagus spears
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 2 cups hot cooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons grates Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 390mins
1.In 5- or 6-quarts slow cooker stir together mushrooms, sweet peppers, onion, pancetta, and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top of mixture in cooker. Pour broth and wine over all.
2.Cover; cook in high-heat setting 3 to 3-1/2 hours or low-heat setting 6 to 7 hours
3.Meanwhile, snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. Cut into 2 to 3-inch lengths. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in asparagus, cream, and the 1/2 cup fresh basil. Cover; cook 30 minutes more.
4.Reserve four chicken breast halves to prepare Chicken and Wild Rice Chowder; store as directed below.* Serve remaining chicken, vegetables, and sauce with orzo. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
*To store chicken breast halves, wrap tightly and refrigerate up to 3 days.