Soft Scones Recipe
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Dried Fruit (optional, I did not add any)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Milk, Buttermilk, or Water
- 8 Tablespoons Butter, Cold OR Combination of Butter and Shortening
- 1 Egg, Beaten with 1 teaspoon Water, for topping
- Coarse Sugar or Cinnamon-Sugar, for topping
Whisk together dry ingredients (and dried fruit, if using).
In separate bowl, whisk together Eggs, Vanilla, and Milk.
Cut in Butter (or Butter and Shortening combination) but be sure to leave some chunks the size of peas to ensure a flaky.
Add in liquid mixture to flour mixture. Do not over-mix.
Fold everything together until moistened.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold over until it becomes a more solid unit.
Divide in half.
Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Pat into 7" circle about 1/2 thick, then cut each circle into 8 wedges.
Be sure to leave 1/2" between each scone with 1/4" in the center.
Using a pastry brush, smooth Egg and Water mixture over each scone.
Sprinkle with Sugar or Cinnamon-Sugar if desired.
Bake 7 minutes. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR! Bake, with oven OFF, for 8 - 10 minutes more or until scones are golden brown.
Serve warm. Best within a few hours of baking.