Hummingbird Cake - Southern Living
Here it is, my absolute most favorite cake in the whole wide world. It’s the most requested recipe at Southern Living, honestly it’s hard to describe in words just how good this cake is!! This cake is similar to a carrot cake, especially when filled and frosted with the ever popular cream cheese icing.
- Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs- lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 (8 ounce can) crushed pineapple -do not drain
- 2 cups bananas, mashed or about 3 – 4 large bananas
- 1 cups pecans or almonds/ walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound box (about 3 2/3 cups) confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Adapted from bestyummyrecipes.com
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and mix together with whisk.
Add eggs, vanilla extract, oil, pineapple, bananas and pecans(or nuts of choice) and mix until all ingredients are moistened.
Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes until cake is done in center.
Frost with cream cheese frosting or any favorite frosting you may have!