Rachel Tufaro’s Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Authentic from a talented Italian friend. Reach for a jar of preserved salsa only in an emergency!
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs dipped in 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Marinara Sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil 1 med size chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped green onions chopped garlic
- 4 - 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 - 32 oz crushed tomatoes
- fresh basil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Optional: pork spare ribs
Mix together all the ingredients. Make 1½- inch meatballs. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Simmer in marinara sauce for 45 minutes or until the meat is tender and fully cooked. Remove from sauce and serve on a platter with extra sauce and pasta.
Sauté onion . Add green onion. Add tomatoes with some water. Add fresh basil. Add the crushed red pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
Optional kicking it up a notch!
In olive oil brown some pork spare ribs. Add them to the simmering sauce. They give flavor to the sauce and can serve as the meat accompanying the pasta.