Pipian Rojo de Pepitas de Calabaza y Almendras
This is a complex and thick salsa that is served best over pork and poultry. This is more ancestral than modern mole.
- 6 chiles guajillo or 3 chiles anchos
- 1 thick slice of white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 3 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 5 to 6 cups stock
- 1 Tbs. lard or veg. oil
- Salt to taste
1. De-seed and de-vein chiles and tear into chunks
2. Saute onion, garlic and chiles in lard or oil
3. Add stock and spices
4. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes
5. Blend cooked ingredients in blender
7. Place blended ingredients back into pot on stove
8. In a small skillet toast almonds and seeds one at a time (keeping them separate)
a. Pumpkin seeds will start to "pop" when done.
b. Almonds will show dark marks on the sides when done.
c. sesemes will be a light gold color when done.
9. Grind seeds and almonds individually in a coffee grinder or small food processor until a soft/smooth powder. (make sure to grind them one at a time and keep them in separate dishes)
10. Add ground almonds and sesame seeds to pot
11. Bring to boil and cook for 5-8 minutes
12. Adding more stock as needed to keep the salsa thin
13. Add ground pumpkin seeds and 1 cup stock
14. Whisk until boils, then remove from heat