Italian Cheese Bread
Homemade Italian bread topped with herbs, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (can use instant)
- 1 cup warm water (120*F)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing*
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Adapted from tammysrecipes.com
1. In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients.
2. Combine water and oil; add to flour mixture. Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
3. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. (Optional: if in a hurry, just skip this rise.)
4. Punch the dough down; place on a greased 16" pizza pan and pat into a 16" circle. Brush with salad dressing (I use the back of a spoon).
5. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over top. Sprinkle with cheeses.
6. For a fluffier cheese bread (our preference), at this point, allow the bread to rest for 15 minutes or so. If you're in a hurry, just skip this rise. (The bread will rise while it bakes, too.)
7. Pre-heat the oven to 450*F. Bake for 11-15 minutes or until golden brown. See additional notes for baking tips!
8. Slice into 12 slices. Serve warm.