Red Velvet Natural Cupcakes
All natural ingredients and No Food Coloring. These are delicious and can also be made vegan style.
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 3/4 cup freshly pureed beets, either boiled or roasted, then pureed
- 1/3 cup oil, sunflower or vegetable, *coconut oil to keep it vegan
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp natural cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk alternative)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened, OR *Earth Balance, to keep it vegan
- 1 block cream cheese, softened (250g) - *use vegan cream cheese to keep it vegan
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- splash of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the beet puree and oil until incorporated.
3. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Mix.
4. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until incorporated into the batter.
6. Divide among cupcake liners, filling them 3/4 cull and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
7. To make the icing, whip together all ingredients. Add the confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
8. Pipe icing onto cupcakes as desired. Thee beetroot may discolor the frosting if left for too long, so if you are piping this ahead of time, do not do so more than 24 hours ahead of time.
9 Keep the cupcakes in the fridge and let sit at room temp at least 30 minutes before serving.