Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- For the topping:
- 1 lb. package short pasta (penne, elbow macaroni, etc.)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- 8-oz sharp white cheddar cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- 8-oz smoked Gouda cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated Gruyere
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 tsp hickory flavor
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (English muffin toasting bread or Panko in the mix suggested)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 65mins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the pasta. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain, but do not rinse. Set aside.
In small bowl mix together the butter and bread crumbs for the topping. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, sauté the onions in butter until they are soften. Add the flour to make a roux and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the milk, cream, paprika, salt, pepper, tomato paste, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
Mix the shredded cheeses together in a small bowl. Once the mixture is at a simmer, add 3 cups of cheese mixture, cottage cheese and hickory flavor. Stir well, remove from heat. Add pasta to cheese mixture, mix well.
Pour ½ of pasta mixture into a lightly buttered 8 x 11 x 2 baking dish, cover with ½ of the remaining grated cheese, add remaining macaroni mixture and cover with the remaining grated cheese mixture.
Top with bread crumb mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
For variations, add cooked lobster meat, truffle oil, bacon and/or garden fresh vegetables