Quinoa Stuffed peppers
For a more festive flair, use a variety of colors of peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
- 1 cup Traditional Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 lg. or 6 med. Green Peppers
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 28-oz. can tomatoes, coarsely diced.(reserve juice)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 12-oz. jar Mexican Salsa(mild or medium)
- 2 Tbsp. Dry Sherry
- 10 oz. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. Cook traditional quinoa following the directions on side panel.
2. Slice top off peppers, and clean out seeds and veins. Steam until soft, but not limp.
3. In a large skillet, saute the onion and mushrooms in butter for about 5 minutes.
4. Add diced tomatoes(reserve the juice).
5. Add the crushed garlic and salsa. Cook over med heat 10 minutes.
6. Add the sherry and cook an additional 10 minutes.
7. Fold in cooked quinoa.
8. Place peppers in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray; fill peppers with quinoa mixture. This will take about half the mixture.
9. Thin remainder with reserved juice and pour around peppers.
10. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over peppers and bake for 30-35 minutes.