- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Whisk granulated sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt in a medium pan. Whisk in milk and yolks. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking, until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and butter; whisk until melted.
Pour pudding through a sieve into a heatproof bowl set in an ice-water bath. To prevent a skin from forming, press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cold and set, about 40 minutes (up to 2 days).
Whip cream and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Divide cold pudding among 4 bowls, and serve with whipped cream.